Athlete's Foot in Matawan NJ
Many people experience athlete’s foot at some point in their lifetime. If you experience a red, scaly rash between your toes and itching associated with athlete’s foot, the board-certified podiatrists in Matawan NJ at Central Jersey Ankle & Foot Care Specialist are here for you. They offer simple treatments that ease symptoms and eliminate this unpleasant fungal infection.
Athlete's Foot Frequently Asked Questions In Matawan NJ
Athlete’s foot is a fungal infection that occurs in your feet and usually begins between your toes. Symptoms of athlete’s foot include:
- A red scaly rash
- Blisters or ulcers that ooze
- Skin dryness
Itching caused by athlete’s foot usually worsens after taking off your socks and shoes.
Athlete’s foot is common, and anybody can develop it. It’s caused by the same fungus associated with jock itch and ringworm. Your risk of developing athlete’s foot increases if you:
- Share shoes
- Wear damp shoes and socks
- Are in humid conditions
- Are in close contact with an infected person
- Walk barefoot in public areas
- Are a man
- Sweat a lot
Walking barefoot through public showers, swimming pools, saunas, or locker rooms puts you at risk of getting athlete’s foot. It’s highly contagious and can spread to other areas of your body, such as your hands, nails, and groin area. If you walk through public areas, make sure to wear shoes or sandals.
Your podiatrist examines your feet and may utilize skin scrapings or samples to test for the fungus that causes athlete’s foot. Treatment options include:
- Over-the-counter antifungal ointments, sprays, powders, or lotions
- Prescription-strength oral medications
- Prescription-strength topical medicines
Take all medications prescribed by your podiatrist as directed to prevent athlete’s foot from returning.
While there’s no surefire way to prevent athlete’s foot, take numerous precautions to lower your risk of developing it. Examples include:
- Avoid sharing shoes with other people
- Keep your feet clean and dry
- Change your socks regularly
- Don’t walk barefoot in public areas
- Wear shoes that are well-ventilated
- Don’t wear the same pair of shoes every day
- Use antifungal powder on your feet daily
- Wash your feet with soap and water twice a day
- Avoid plastic-lined shoes
Don’t let discomfort caused by athlete’s foot linger when simple treatments are at your fingertips. Call Central Jersey Ankle & Foot Care Specialists to learn more about athlete's foot treatment options or to schedule an appointment today.
8:00am - 4:00pm
7:30am - 7:00pm
9:00am - 8:00pm
9:00am - 5:00pm
9:00am - 2:00pm
Saturday & Sunday