Flat Foot Specialist

Central Jersey Ankle & Foot Care Specialists

Podiatrists located in Aberdeen, NJ

Flatfoot, sometimes also called fallen arches, is a common problem that may develop when your foot alignment is off. If your arch is shallow, or nearly touching the ground when you stand, it’s time to seek out flatfoot help from a foot care professional. The team of dedicated and caring podiatrists at Central Jersey Ankle & Foot Care Specialists in Aberdeen, New Jersey, has the flatfoot solutions you need, so book your appointment online or by phone now.

Flat Foot Q & A

What is flatfoot? 

Flatfoot is a condition in which your foot arch is either flat or nearly so. In the most common type of flatfoot, flexible flatfoot, you don't have an arch when standing but do have one when off your feet. Flexible flatfoot can cause pain in the feet, lower legs, and even the lower back.

Rigid flatfoot is the more severe type of flatfoot. If you have this condition, you don’t have an arch, even when off your feet. If you're flat-footed, you might also develop other foot problems like bunions, hammertoe, or a shortened Achilles tendon. Correcting the underlying issue usually prevents ongoing secondary problems.

What causes flatfoot?

There are many possible causes of flatfoot, and there might be more than one contributing factor. It’s normal for children to have flexible flatfoot, but most kids outgrow it by age 6. About one or two out of every 10 children remains flat-footed into adulthood.

Improper foot alignment and pressure on your feet over time are two common factors in flexible flatfoot. If you suffer from a chronic condition like rheumatoid arthritis or diabetes, you may be more vulnerable to developing flexible flatfoot.

Rigid flatfoot is usually connected to an inherited bone problem in your foot, but it can also develop after a high-impact injury like falling and landing on your feet with extreme force.

How is flatfoot treated?

Flatfoot treatment at Central Jersey Ankle & Foot Care Specialists is personalized for you. Your podiatrist works to resolve any foot imbalances and develops a support system for your feet to encourage your arch. You may wear orthotic inserts like Orthaheel® or Powerstep®. 

If you have severe pain due to flatfoot, your podiatrist may recommend physical therapy or a variety of other noninvasive pain relief solutions. It’s rare to need surgery for flatfoot, but in cases of rigid flatfoot, you might need surgery to realign the bones causing the problem. 

The team of skilled podiatrists at Central Jersey Ankle & Foot Care Specialists is ready to help you overcome flatfoot and all its associated issues. Book your appointment online or by phone today.